Sunday, January 11, 2009

Baptism Sunday

Today was baptism Sunday at Living Water Church. Ten new believers were baptised today! We were so thankful to be a part of such an important service. Because of the special service, both groups met together in Borabu. The members from the Bon Daeng area were bussed in. We first went to a lake a short drive from the church for baptism of some of the members who chose immersion. We then went back to the church for the service and the others were baptised by pouring. It is great to see young and old baptised at the same time.

We then brought greetings from Bethesda and introduced ourselves. However, that is kind of irrelevant since we sort of stick out. There is an old grandma that talks to us and always touches and looks at our skin like she is amazed. She told Rad that before she was a believer she never saw white people but she is so glad to see them now. In my introduction I said that I was from a small town of about 1,000 people and many farmed as did they. I also said that we are all brought together through Christ whether we are in villages that are close or separated by an ocean.


After that the four of us sang Jesus Loves Me and then called the children forward to hand out the school kits. The children were very appreciative and I showed them all the items that we put in the kits. As I pulled each one out I said what it was and they repeated in English. They were very excetied. I also presented the signed soccer ball from the 2nd & 3rd grade M&M class and told them each church would get some new balls to play with. We then dismissed the children to go and provided them with fabric paint to write their names and decorate their bags.


We then celebrated communion and had the remainder of the service. Following the service we all gathered for an Issan meal. Aaron and I have been trying hot peppers and today we found a really hot one in this meal. We stuck to chicken, greens, and sticky rice. We stayed away from fermented fish! I also had 2 silk worms. The children kept asking for more like they were candy. The children had lots of fun playing with the balls and learning how to play with a Frisbee.

We returned home about 4:30 and I took the kids on a motorcycle ride to a market. We of course always stick out and as we watched a man butcher fish that people were buying he would keep giving Kaelyn a really close look. She was not impressed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks be to God for the Baptisms! Kindly give my greetings to Pat & Rad. I very much enjoy your blog. Peppers, skin color, monkeys - its all great. Enjoy the heat it is very cold here.

Anonymous said...

Greetings. Just to let you know this Thursday morning the low temperature was -9F (-23C) but now the temperature is a balm 0F (-18C). Wish I was there...The LORD be with you.