
Today was the first day of teaching English. We are working in a school in a village about 15 minutes away from Borabu. Classes went well. Flexibility is the name of the game when working with children of different ages and abilities. These kids have a very basic amount English knowledge, some appear to have almost none. However, they are very eager to learn. We worked mostly today with colors, numbers, from and to using a ball. With the older kids we added days of the week, weather, over, under, and behind. Each class would greet us with, "Good morning teachers. How are you?"
During recess we discovered that we were in charge of recreation. Today we
just played ball with them and had fun on the playground. Tomorrow Aaron and I plan to teach them the intricacies of American football tactics and strategies. I asked them if they knew American football and I was met with blank stares. So I asked them if they knew Rugby and a few seemed to know the word but not what it was. I then drew a picture of a football in the dirt and told them in Thai that it was a ball and I would bring it tomorrow. It should be interesting.
just played ball with them and had fun on the playground. Tomorrow Aaron and I plan to teach them the intricacies of American football tactics and strategies. I asked them if they knew American football and I was met with blank stares. So I asked them if they knew Rugby and a few seemed to know the word but not what it was. I then drew a picture of a football in the dirt and told them in Thai that it was a ball and I would bring it tomorrow. It should be interesting.
The girls just followed Kaelyn around like she was their queen bee. She was a little overwhelmed by all the attention but had lots of fun playing. Anything she did was the cool thing to do. The boys had lots of fun playing with Aaron. Aaron was a little concerned at first that they were so good at soccer and he had not played much but they were just excited to get to play anything with him. The hospitality of the Thai people is hard to top.
Tomorrow (Thursday) will be another day of teaching. Rad will arrive tonight after being back in Canada for 2 weeks visiting their children. Pat has been a great host but I am sure he is looking forward to more help. They are extremely busy in their ministry
Praises to join us in:
- Aaron's return to good health
- Safe travel all the way to Borabu
- Rad's safe return home
- Baptism of new believers this Sunday (more to come)
Please pray for:
- Kaelyn to get well (started to feel sick today)
- All of us to continue to adjust to the culture
- Growing together spiritually as a family
1 comment:
Great to read your updates! Just reading about your experiences with the language, using pictures, etc brings back a lot of memories! :)
You are in my thoughts and prayers daily!
Love, Karen
Post a Comment